Thursday, April 18, 2013

there's still hope for humanity


I like this day. Well, I like all days but this day is um, extra special. When I was on my way to church this afternoon, I came across a good samaritan. A good samaritan, guys!!! Can you believe??? In this generation,where violence occurs left and right,it is sooo rare to encounter such kind of person. The jeepney was still half empty when my mom and I settled in. The jeepney wouldn't leave unless it's full of passengers so we had to wait for quite some time. After a moment, there's this man who was with his 5 children, I assume, who climbed in. The driver asked if he would pay for all the kids and the man said no, he'd just pay for two and let the three other kids sit on his lap. And then, not so long after that, another guy climbed in. This time, the jeepney was almost full but there were still plenty of empty seats left. This guy sat right behind the driver's seat, beside the man with 5 kids and in front of us (can you picture it?). It wasn't my intention to eavesdrop but he was right in front of me so I practically heard what he said to the driver. He handed a 50-peso bill and some coins to the driver which would be too much if he's gonna pay for himself. So here's what he said, "I'm going to pay for all the empty seats". And after that, the jeepney finally left AND he let the three kids who was sitting on the man's lap take the empty seats. Are you following me here? He paid the empty seats for the three kids. I was absolutely touched by what this guy did. I know it's probably shallow for some, but I think it's really a great thing. I felt so blessed by what this guy did because honestly, he didn't look like he was a big-time guy or something (I don't mean anything mean by that). That simple act of kindness put a smile on my face and throughout the day I kept thinking of that guy and what he has done. I think it's amazing. I think it'd be so nice if we decide to do something good to others without expecting something in return. You see, we don't have to be rich or famous or anything to help others. Even in the simplest ways, we can be able to put a smile on someone's face. Despite all the violence seen/heard in the news, there's still hope for humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment